Saturday, April 19, 2008

Piles of Paperwork

 If America is the land where anything is possible for a price, then France is the land where some things are possible if you have all the correct paperwork. Having all of the correct paperwork, however, is nearly impossible. It has taken us three days to sign up for a cell phone plan and it has taken us six days and counting to open a bank account. Incredible.

 As we were returning to Matthieu's apartment (after being sent away for the second time from the bank for having incomplete paperwork) I began to notice that several Parisians on the metro were carrying small accordion files or folders stuffed with paperwork. The more I looked the more I saw. Almost everyone had folders tucked under their arms and crammed into tiny stylish purses and slim briefcases. I suppose I'll have to get one too. 

No comments: